Sunday 3 March 2013

3 Little Wolves & The Big Bad Pig (Part 4)

Small gap in postings was due to a wedding and the absurd amount of alcohol I was forced to consume whilst present. Both brain cells are still present and correct however and I shall crack on regardless.

The morning of day 3 - the 25th dawned icy cold but clear as a bell with no moisture in the air. The light was so good that pre-dawn scanning was possible with confidence. I felt good. I even said to my co-watchers that we would connect today. The light was simply too good not too. I only hoped that I hadn't jinxed the whole thing by vocalising what the others were mulling over internally.

Time passed and there were obviously more birds about than at the previous watches. I felt I was getting to know the hill sides and rides through which the deer browsed and hopefully our quarry would pass. It got close to 9am and despite the improved conditions, attention spans were shortening and talk turned to food. Simon and Karen kept our spirits up with some wise cracks but occasionally people splintered off to look at the Crossbills, Siskins & Firecrests that were keeping us all entertained.

Simon & Karen Spavin's photo of the scratching Wolf.
 Something magic happened. It was John, again. He had something 'its Wolves!'. We all swung into action trying to get scopes on the beasts and directions. Eventually we all connected as first 2 then 3 animals mooched around a small clearing before disappearing briefly and reappearing seemingly without actually moving. I didn't initially get the best views as I wasn't on a scope when the animals were found and had to wait my turn but when I had the chance I struck wolf-watching gold. The images of 2 wolves sauntering about as if the owned the place whilst a third sat on its haunches for a scratch followed by the lazy stretch that you see dogs do the world over. Mind Blown. No sooner had the sighting started than it concluded as the Wolves disappeared, seemingly into thin air.

Short-toed Treecreeper
 2 Anti-social Scots who disappeared up the road prior to the sighting were returning to leave so I had to make sure their poor manners and spiky dispositions got them the gripping off they deserved so I sprinted up to their car to be the bearer of good tidings. We never did find out if they connected. Jubilant we returned to the hotel before heading out raptoring in the gorges of the borderlands near the Almendra dam. Before leaving we found singing Woodlarks, Cirl Bunting, Short-toed Treecreeper plus a displaying Golden Eagle. A rather tasty start to the day.

1 comment:

northernloon said...

The Short-toed Treecrippler is worthy of Baggers

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org