Thursday 27 October 2011

Whale Surveyor

Thanks to a couple of days in the flatlands of the Lincs/Norfolk fens I am now a fully qualified UK & Gulf of Mexico marine mammal observer. An interesting couple of courses courtesy of Alison Gill at Intelligent Ocean mean that once I have my upgraded medical and a few safety courses then I can work out in the briny as a whale man. Which is nice!

As reward for the classroom based shenanigans I rewarded myself with a day birding. Starting at Cley there was little of note with a single Brent and a few Black-tailed Godwits the pick. Walking back to the car a couple of Cetti's Warblers piped up and the whole reedbed started to ping. As I walked along the path Bearded Tits were all around, none showing well but views over the reeds. A couple of Stonechats were guarding a bench as I walked past.

I moved off to Salthouse where no laps or snobs were seen but a Long-eared Owl came in off and a probable Black-throated Diver came past close in but I didnt notice it was interesting until too late, assuming it would be a Red-throat. Indeed several Red-throated Divers were on the sea and parties of Common Scoter and Eider went past.

I called in at Blakeney freshmarsh whilst traversing the north coast and had views of the Cattle Egret preening. Massively underwhelmed I moved off to Titchwell being almost totally ignorant of this coast aside from the honeypots. At Titchwell I managed plenty of views of the Yellow-browed Warbler before establishing there were two. Thrushes streamed over and plenty of finches were present. Quickly it was half 3 and I had to get back to Yorkshire, where I belong...

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org