Saturday 24 April 2021

Easy (Lam)Prey

A twitter post by two of my former lecturers and colleagues at the University of Hull, discussing watching Brook Lamprey Lampetra planeri spawning in the headwaters of the River Hull, reminded me that I too live near the headwaters of the River Hull and I too could see this. A couple of tactical messages later and I was armed with the requisite information and away I trundled.

A chilly but bright April evening saw me watching no fewer than seven of these oddities, frantically trying to pass their genes on over the gravel redds that are present in what is effectively a ditch. Anyway, I put together a video documenting this with dodgy footage included.

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org