Tuesday 23 July 2013

Heat

Currently I am sat in my hotel in Scotland hoping furiously that the thunder and torrential rain stops before I do my dusk surveys. I thought I would spend my time sensibly by updating on the last few weeks. I have been busy dipping Minke Whales with the family this weekend at Filey and also meeting my new nephew which was super cool and in the week I managed a couple of seawatches up at St Mary's Island where once again I missed cetaceans (and Poms) with the 25 White-beaked Dolphins nowhere to be seen. I did however soak up the sun and in the 28 degree heat managed a Cuckoo, Arctic Skua and a dozen or so Manx Shearwaters on Thursday with an adult sum plum Mediterranean Gull on Tuesday. Needless to say I missed the Little Egret and Black Tern which bookended one visit. Neither did I get a possible Zino's Petrel which went through the area yesterday.



A few digitally rendered flybys. Prior to this I was very aware that there were plenty of insects about (sooo many bites...) and I managed a few pics.

Small Blood-vein
Chimney Sweeper
Silver-ground Carpet
Sericomyia silentis (BIG HOVERFLY)
And finally yesterday I saw a new butterfly - Scotch Argus. A cracker!

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org