Friday 1 May 2015

Mon-umental

Ive been working in Yorkshire this week and this has given me the chance to swing by Blacktoft Sands a couple of times and add a much wanted bird to my Yorkshire List. Last year two Montagu's Harriers bred near Blacktoft and whilst it was announced after they left it was pretty common knowledge but I didnt go and see them. This year with them being on the reserve I thought I would take my chance and on Wednesday I did getting brief but reasonable views as well as a Cetti's Warbler and my first Marsh Harrier of the year.



Today I went back as I had a little more time and the birds were on show almost constantly and the male at one point skydanced over the car park and gave a point blank flypast later on when I didnt have my camera to hand.



Aside from the star turns there was plenty to get excited about today with a pair of Garganey from Xerox which did nothing but sleep. There were a good few waders up at Ousefleet as well with summer plumage Ruff and Spotted Redshank with more prosaic looking Greenshank and a very smart male Yellow Wagtail. There was no sign of the Curlew Sandpiper but a push of hirundines contained my first Swift of the year.

Whilst watching the Monty's and various Marsh Harriers I noticed a small raptor in a bush and watched it on various sorties over the reeds as it resolved into a Hobby. Soon real life dawned and I had to go back to work but a delightful couple of hours. In the video you can see the Hobby in the skeletal bush in front of the Montagu's.

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org