Sunday 28 April 2019

Early April in Eastern England

Yellow Wagtail - Frampton
I have had a pretty decent April after a quiet start to the year. I found a Great White Egret whilst working in Nottinghamshire and a Crane at RSPB Frampton Marsh whilst there was a volunteers meeting so it turned into a big twitch. I've also been lucky enough to find half a dozen Peregrine nests and a few other rare breeders both whilst working and here in East Yorkshire.

Crane - Frampton. It was dark and distant!
Great White Egret - Catton, Notts. iPhone binned.
Obviously migrants have been the order of the day over the last month and the first Blackcaps and Willow Warblers opened the month up and I have caught up with most of the warblers now with Garden and Grasshopper still to go. I took a brief trip to March Farmers in Cambridgeshire on the Nene washes whilst I was working in the Fens and saw 18 of the 21 reported Cranes in one flock.

Thirteen Cranes at March Farmers. Great birds.

Andrena fulva - one of many females I have seen round and about.
White Wagtail - Frampton

No comments:

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org