Wednesday 28 November 2012

Patch Gold

Managed another cracking local bird today - my first Goosander for the village. I got the news of its presence via Michael Flowers on twitter at half 3 and raced up to the mere (the village pond) to find a fine drake sat on the grass in someones garden on the far side. A truely super bird and one that is pretty scarce in the local area - evidenced by very few at Tophill Low.

Sadly no photos as my camera is living in the airing cupboard to remove the moisture that got into the lens and fogged it yesterday but if it stays until tomorrow I will try to get some shots. Additionally, three species of Tit made it onto the footpatch challenge practise list with Great, Long-tailed and Coal Tit all visiting my feeders today taking me onto 47 in 2 days. Another 2 Cormorants passed within viewing distance of the house but sadly I wasnt home to see it. Must try harder! Apparently 10 Waxwings were in a private garden about 200 yards NW of mine but I failed to see them in situ let alone get them on the garden list. Numbers of winter thrushes in the locale are astounding with most of them being Redwing. Must keep checking for the Dusky Thrush.

1 comment:

northernloon said...

Yet to get Cormorant on my flat list. Maybe if I move my armchair to a more southerly aspect as I seen two recently flying down the Aire valley. Have managed a fly by Grey Heron though.

A small flock of Starling-sized birds this morning, but I haven't told Keith yet

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org