Friday 20 July 2012

Caspian Tern. Spanking!

I was weathered off today so I thought it would be rude not to have an attempt at the Caspian Tern in the broads. It was still over an hour from Wells to Buckenham but on arrival it took less than 10 minutes to get a majorly excellent fly past. One of the hardest birds to twitch had been reduced to epic tickage in mere moments. On this pass I got some shots of it as microdots (included) or frame filling blurs. Damned tracking...

Microdot heavily photoshopped

Nevermind - I thought I would get better as the bird was obviously so easy. Hmm. About an hour later and I saw the bird again passing west towards Stumpshaw. I didnt see it again. I waited 2 hours at Buckenham and then cracked and went to strumpshaw. On leaving strumpshaw it promptly returned. Do I care? Not a jot - I had a lovely day enjoying this part of Norfolk and looking mainly at bugs. I managed to see a family of Marsh Harriers food passing and saw Scorpion Flies, Hover Flies and Dragons of all manner of flavours. I was quite happy. Here are a selection of my shots.

2 comments:

northernloon said...

Nice one. Glad you caught up with it. It's been highly mobile and judging by the comments on BF that's the norm. That isn't my experience (of one bird). The lazy bugger sat in a field near the Trent and er, that was it. Cracking birds though

James said...

Cheers Ken! Was just a nice place to spend some time as well.

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org