Tuesday 12 July 2011

Marsh Sandpiper, Blacktoft


Midget Greenshank with the head of a Wilson's Phalarope
A hoped for event when the Marsh Sandpiper, sensibly, decided to leave Lincolnshire for God's own by hopping the Trent. I was at Blacktoft for half 10. Not too many there and I got really good if a little distant views. It was parading round with a posse of Greenshank and took a little picking initially but once my eye was in I could see the subtle differences in leg colour, face pattern and bill morphology plus the smaller size. A very smart sandpiper - no doubts. Too far for the DSLR to cope with.

The picture here was a Greenshank...DOH

Plenty of supporting cast as well with 2 Spoonbills, 9 Little Egret, 2 Green Sandpipers, a dozen Spotted Redshank, Arctic Tern, Marsh Harrier, Common Sandpiper, Dunlin, Ruff and plenty I have forgotten I am sure...

Green Sandpiper


Ruff


Sleepy Spoonbill



3 comments:

Michael Flowers said...

Yep, Small Skipper

James said...

Any beardies when you were there?

James said...

No beardies when I was there James.

Thanks for the skipper ID michael

How birds and brains become mutually exclusive

Record, share and compare with BUBO Listing at www.bubo.org